Re: Pulling Midget Engine

To: charles.m.love@us.army.mil, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Pulling Midget Engine
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:22:52 EST
In a message dated 1/10/05 2:24:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
charles.m.love@us.army.mil writes:
> I forgot to drain the transmission oil and it all poured out the back  of
> The tranny when I tilted it up.  Is this normal?  Did the DPO leave
> something
> Off when they put it back in the car?

Nah--that is normal.  There is a seal that fits around the driveshaft that
supposedly keeps the stuff in,but when you remove the driveshaft and tilt the
engine backwards, it escapes.  You will never forget to remove the tranny oil
again.  8^)

> Thanks again to everyone who responded.
>
> Now I have to figure out if I can rebuild it myself or should I pay someone
>

> Go for it!  You sound like the adventurous type.  Just get a good set of
> tools and a couple or three good manuals.  Torque wrench. Let the machine
>shop
> do the technical stuff on the crank, block, and head.  Go slow. Take notes
>and
> pictures.  Keep everything squeaky clean on reassembly.  And a good local
> mechanic to bounce questions off of always helps--and the list is an
> inehaustable source of guidance and information.  Use the "false economy"
>rule, i.e.,
> it's cheaper to replace something while you have it apart than it is to go
> back in and do it over while trying to save money by re-using worn parts.  8^)

--David C.