Re: Re: Question on overheating

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Question on overheating
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 10:05:11 -0500
Join the club!  There seems to be a lot of spridgeteers that have had or do
have cars that suffer from overheating of some sort while idling at red lights.
 I'm working on the assumption with mine, that the carbs, intake, fuel are
getting too hot and it's upsetting things.  Everything comes back to normal a
few seconds after I get rolling again.

In theory, I assume that an electric fan would help for 2 reasons:
- cooling the coolant
- and getting air moving under the bonnet.

I've got a long way to go and a lot of things to try, but I'm starting with
getting my intake and header heat coated to get rid of a heat source and to try
to protect what I think is an affected part.  I don't have a heat shield.  I've
talked ( wrote ) and thought and planned to prepare one, but I haven't got a
round toit ( around to it ), as my life has been scary for a while.  Too many
projects ( not cars ) and a young family and life in general.

Another option would be to run red lights. :)

Other things that I have heard people mention are:
- make sure your rad is in good condition ( or get modern one )
- deep impeller water pumps
- larger pulley on the water pump to slow the flow
- ignition timing
- cold air boxes
- louvers or vents to let the hot air out ( another thing I spend too much time
thinking about )
- improving the heat shield

What did I miss?

RobertD