Re: GM going down, no LBC

To: RBHouston@aol.com, Mgleigh@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GM going down, no LBC
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 13:55:36 EST
A pushrod engine can be made to run as effectively as an overhead cam engine
- however it will cost a lot more money for the parts.  Minute flexion of the
rods at higher RPM plus a few other things going on affect the valve train,
etc etc etc.  Can't rev em.  What is needed for ultimate performance is
movement
of mass.

A New Harley motor puts out 67 HP factory stock using 1450 CC's.  That is
tantamount to a 1930's automobile with a big flathead that puts out 65 HP.
Some
might  consider this a poor use of displacement, some might not.  A lot could
be done with them 1450 CC's in a high performance overhead cam variable valve,
etc etc etc engine.  Think Honda S2000 performance.  But Harley must walk in
the past as well as the present where "function follows form" - ie, that form
being "nostalgia".  The one upside for some might be low rpm cruising for long
distances which may affect a MC rider who sits over the engine more than
someone more insulated in a car.

I agree why reinvent the wheel?  However, consider that some wheels are made
of splintered wood and some of lightweight new age materials.

To note - Harley also began to produce a "form follows function" MC when it
introduced the V-Rod nearly 4 years ago.  The V-Rod is powered by a 1130 CC
double overhead cam engine designed in Stuttgart by Porsche.  Harley had the
bucks to take their case to Porsche.  How do you beat Honda?  Go to Suttgart
and
get it done.  It puts out over 130 hp stock and turns quarter mile times faster
than the heavier Honda VTX which is an 1800CC bike.   The motor company
realizes that their current demographic is getting older (like me at 54) and as
such it is importante for them to have a bike like this for the next
generation.

I rented a V-Rod on vacation last year in San Diego and the performance was
simply staggering - 0 to 60 at 3.4 seconds.  I found a place where I could wind
it out a bit and I got to 100 mph so fast I felt like I was strapped to the
back of a rocket. The seat is designed like a drag seat - it holds you into the
MC under high acceleration.  Sitting on that thing was like riding the
Superman Ride at 6 Flags, only faster!

Kirk