Re: [Tigers] Gears and rpms

To: 'Tiger's Den' <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Gears and rpms
From: Sandy Ganz <sganz@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 11:20:57 -0700 (PDT)
I have a new David Kee Top Loader with a different set of gears. Basically a
tick lower first gear then the close ratio but not as much as the wide.
Stock Close Ratio in the Tiger
2.32          1.69          1.29          1.0
Stock Wide Ratio in the Tiger
2.78          1.93          1.36          1.0
My David Kee Ratios
2.44          1.69          1.29          1.0

If you
like to drive and do 'stuff' the close ratio is much more enjoyably from a
performance perspective IMO. My car has the close ratio now with stockish 260
and 13" tires, it's not that bad to get off the line, just takes a bit a care,
but never really intended the Tiger as a hole shot car due to tiny tires ;)
Like Mark said, think of all the parts in your system, 13" tires are tough to
find, 15" are easy and look good on a tiger so lots of factors if you plan on
doing anything in the future. Spend time with the calculators and try a bunch
of things like rear end ratios, gearbox's and tire size.  5 speed solves lots
of problems for the street driving, and might be a good thing for that, for
track don't think it has as much value and I like the way the top loaders
shift vs. T5 style gear boxes.

Sandy