Timing is Everything

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Timing is Everything
From: "Himelfarb, Mike" <mike@sdm.ShoppersDrugMart.ca>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 1995 06:29:41 -0400
Encoding: 2249 Text
Two weeks after starting the tune-up on the TR6 it's finished... seems
to have taken just a *bit* longer than I originally anticipated.

It all started when I decided to do something about the misfiring I
was getting over 2500 rpm.  First, I inspected cap, rotor, points, etc
and found cracked cap and burned points.  Plugs and wires were ok so
the rest needed replacement.  Took 3 days to get correct points after
two trips to the shop.  By the time I got around to installing them I
found a dead battery as my 2 year-old son had been playing in the
'widdo yellow car' and left the lights on all day ;-)

After 24 hours of charging it was time to get the beast going only to
find, after cranking it a few times, that the starter solenoid had
melted.  Off we go for a new solenoid and the next day we're cranking
again, but no spark now... hmmm.  After all the usual checks our hero
finds a dead coil so it's off to the shop again to install a new coil
the next day.

Well now, after replacing most of the starting circuit, it's running!
Not only that, but it runs *GREAT*.  After all the advice I received
from everyone about timing I decided to time it by ear and forget the
timing light, specs, etc.  Turns out it runs best around 4 degrees
BTDC, although the spec says 4 ATDC!  Not only that, but the valve
knock/tick on valves 11/12 I'd been getting since I bought the car has
disappeared!  When I asked the PO about the noise when I bought the
car he said his mechanic told him he had a sticking lifter... hmmm.

On top of all these good things the car actually has *power* now.
Used to be a real battle to keep it at 60 mph going up hills because
of the misfiring, etc over 2500 (no overdrive yet) but this morning I
accelerated up the same hills hitting 75 quite comfortably with lots
of pull left over... pretty satisfying and *fun*!

Now it's on to the overdrive... sigh.

*  Mike Himelfarb - '76 TR6  |  "When all else fails, use a hammer..."   *
*  Mike@ShoppersDrugMart.CA  |                                 Taylor    *