Re: TR O/D Gearbox Oil

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR O/D Gearbox Oil
From: egilk@oslonett.no (Egil Kvaleberg)
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 1995 07:55:50 +0100
Newsgroups: mail.triumphs
In article <v02110102abf9905599b8@DialupEudora>,
searle@indigo.ucdavis.edu (Philip A. Searle) wrote:
> Any thoughts as to a suitable oil here in the US for an overdrive TR4
> gearbox?
> I used to use Castrol ST-90 in my Spitfire 1500 O/D 'box. Is this available
> in the US anywhere?

I use Mobil synthetic in my 'A' O/D box, for a Triumph big saloon in daily use
for almost 10 years, without any problems. I use the GL-4 specification,
which does not have the high pressure (hypoy) additives that GL-5 has.

For winter driving, the synthetic is a must.

It was recommended to me as suitable for O/D boxes by the tech departement
of the local Mobil office (naturally :-), and it would surprise me a lot
if it wasn't available in the US.

Don't use GL-4 for the differential, of course, GL-5 is required there.

Egil

--
Email: egilk@oslonett.no  Voice: +47 22523641/92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Smail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway