Spit lube update.

Subject: Spit lube update.
From: Jeremy DuBois <jer@thlogic.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 1995 09:36:21 -0400 (EDT)
  I want to thank everyone for the really great advice about lubricating the
trunnions on the front suspension of my spit.

  I went out last night with a pneumatic grease gun and shot some oil into
the trunnions to try and purge the old grease out.  It seemed to work on the
drivers side. As the oil went in, lots of old nasty looking grease gooped
out.  On the passenger's side, the oil didn't seem to even make it into the
trunnion, it just squirted out a little ways below the grease nipple.
Tightening the grease nipple didn't help any.
  Also, on the driver's side, after cleaning off the outside of the
trunnion, it looked like half of it had been scored away considerable.  I
don't quite understand how, since there's nothing I could see that would rub
on the outside of the trunnion and wear it away.  Maybe something chemically
ate it?
  Anyway, based on my partial failure, and on the strange damage to that
trunnion, and to all the recommendations I got, I think I'll go order a
front suspension rebuild kit now.  Anybody know the best place to order from
(price/quality?)

  I noticed the kits don't include new bushings for the shocks, should I put
new bushings on them?  Is it worth it to upgrade the shocks/springs (My
current ones seem to be reasonably ok, but should I put performance ones on?
anybody got pointers to general suspension info on the net?) Also, how
difficult is it to re-align the suspension myself?  I've come to loath
taking my car to have it worked on, mechanics just don't seem to care about
your car.  I don't really know what I'm doing, but at least I care enough
not to be sloppy and hope nobody will notice.

                                                Jeremy DuBois
                                                Programmer/System Administrator
                                                Thermalogic Corporation