RE: Trunnion fun for the masses

To: Jim Strohm <Jim_Strohm@ccmail.us.dell.com>
Subject: RE: Trunnion fun for the masses
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 1995 10:32:53 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Thu, 8 Jun 1995, Jim Strohm wrote:

>      Doing a proper front-end lube clean-up really requires a general
>      disassembly, especially the trunnion.

Indeed you're right.

>      I suggest shotgunning the whole suspension because as soon as you
>      unscrew the trunnion, you throw the suspension completely out of
>      alignment.    <<SNIP>>
>      As some of us have found, removing, cleaning, and relubing the
>      trunnion, and screwing it to the proper tightness, offsets the camber
>      several degrees positive.  But removal always wanks the alignment.
I've gotta cry foul here.  R&R'ing the trunnion does not change the
alignment one bit.  The trunnion should never be screwed to any
tightness, as it requires free rotation.  The trunnion should be screwed
as high as it can be whilst not encountering any thread binding under
normal swiveling.  This will become evident when it is apart.

Just to throw my bit into the fray, I agree with CAK that modern greases
are less likely to look like a dry lake bed over time, and that's what I
use.

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6