Re: TR O/D Gearbox Oil

To: widget@pixi.com (Paul Swengler)
Subject: Re: TR O/D Gearbox Oil
From: paisley@boulder.nist.gov (Scott W. Paisley)
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 1995 09:26:29 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Paul Swengler writes:
 > TeriAnn may have a point about synthetic. I've rebuilt two A types recently.
 > In the past working straight transmissions I've been happy with synthetic
 > gear oil. But Both transmissions started slipping in OD. Today the second
 > started slipping without OD when I pushed hard in first.
 >
 > I think I'll drain the box, flush it with Deisel and refill it.
 >
 > Any comments on this strategy?

I don't think your overdrive was slipping (in the last case anyway),
it has to be the clutch.  With the engine loaded in a higher gear
(overdrive engaged) the clutch could slip more easily, and this could
lead one to think the OD is going out .  To ways I like to check to
see if a clutch "hooks up".

 Head up a hill, put the box in 3rd at about 30 mph, floor the
 accelerator.  If the rpm's zoom up, time for a new clutch.

 Same as above, but give the car some gas with the clutch DISENGAGED.
 Then quickly (no sidestepping here) release the clutch.  The rpms
 should drop very quickly as the clutch hooks-up.  If it takes several
 seconds (over 5) for things to engage, the clutch is on it's way out.
 If things are really bad, it won't engage at all, you'll just start
 smoking the disk.  Don't let it sit there and spin, or you'll get a
 nice glaze on the flywheel.  (which should be turned on a clutch job
 anyway)

Since you mentioned that second was slipping W/O overdrive, it's my
guess that it's time for a clutch disk, and your O/D is just fine.
IMO, the only thing that could really hurt an O/D WRT oil, would be an
additive that coats the friction disk, such as Slick-50.  I'm running
redline in my OD right now, with no ill-effects whatsoever!

Cheers,

-Scotty