Re: On the starting and old engine thread <950612121316.2220

To: dan parslow <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Subject: Re: On the starting and old engine thread <950612121316.222022e2@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 1995 17:01:28 -0400
Cc: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net, streeter@sanders.com
Dan Parslow writes:

> Well, as of this weekend I can vouch for the "crank it without
> plugs" technique for priming an engine that's been sitting around
> in a drained condition.

> So I hereby endorse this technique.  Just be sure to wash all the
> dust and grit away from the spark plug holes before you remove
> them so as you crank you're not sucking junk into the holes....

I find it easier to leave the plugs in, but disconnect the coil from the
distributor.  This prevents accidentally sucking junk into the engine through
the plug holes.  Of course, your battery needs to be in better shape to manage
60-90 seconds of cranking (about what it takes, in my experience) with the plugs
in, than with them out.

I now regularly use this method after oil changes in the TR6.  However, I have
never had any problems getting the oil light to go out, and the gauge to
register,
although it does take what seems like forever.

--ken