Re: On the starting and old engine thread

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: On the starting and old engine thread
From: egilk@oslonett.no (Egil Kvaleberg)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 1995 05:15:51 +0100
In article <9506122101.AA24604@snoopy.spcot>, you wrote:
> Dan Parslow writes:
>
> > Well, as of this weekend I can vouch for the "crank it without
> > plugs" technique for priming an engine that's been sitting around
> > in a drained condition.
>
> > So I hereby endorse this technique.  Just be sure to wash all the
> > dust and grit away from the spark plug holes before you remove
> > them so as you crank you're not sucking junk into the holes....
>
> I find it easier to leave the plugs in, but disconnect the coil from the
> distributor.

Easier, but without plugs the bearing load will be much less, and the RPM
and thus oil pump action will be much better. And the load on the starter
motor much less. You will strain it unnecessarily by cranking over a
minute with the plugs in.

> However, I have
> never had any problems getting the oil light to go out, and the gauge
> to register,
> although it does take what seems like forever.

You should be able to register quite a healthy oil pressure when cranking
without the plugs. For those with a 'hanging' oil filter conversion (much
recommended), it also helps to fill the filter with oil before you
mount it.

Egil

--
Email: egilk@oslonett.no  Voice: +47 22523641/92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Smail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway