Re: Spit exhaust manifold needed & questions

To: DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM (dan parslow)
Subject: Re: Spit exhaust manifold needed & questions
From: Jeremy DuBois <jer@thlogic.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 1995 19:07:11 -0400 (EDT)

> >   The second thing I discovered is that the connection betweeen the manifold
> > and the front pipe seemed very determined to stay together, and refused any
> > attempt I made to get it apart.  I didn't try a pneumatic impact wrench
> > (mainly because I don't have one :-) but just about everything I could think
> > of short of that.  Does anybody have any experience getting these apart?
>
> You don't say whether the nuts refuse to come off, or having come off
> the joint refuses to separate.  The other replies seem to presume the
> former.

  Well, I was talking about the first situation but I'm sure the second
problem is just a short time away :-).

  I did manage to get the bolts apart tonight, with a days worth of WD-40
and a larger socket wrench.  Truthfully, I got one nut off and broke the
studs on the other two. That shouldn't be a problem since I've located a
replacement manifold (thanks to David Clark) from a '79 that'll (hopefully)
work on my '76.  At least the guys at TRF seemed to think it would.  I just
have to get new studs now.
  I haven't tried to pull the manifold from the head yet because I have to
take the carb off again...

                                                Jeremy DuBois
                                                Programmer/System Administrator
                                                Thermalogic Corporation