Re: Over/Under gauge

To: gt8610a@prism.gatech.edu (Thomas Augustus Kimberly), amace@unix2.nysed.gov
Subject: Re: Over/Under gauge
From: "Doug Mitchell" <doug@dsg128.nad.ford.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 1995 07:29:32 -0400 "Over/Under gauge" (Jun 12, 3:29pm)
Cc: TRIUMPHS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
> Subject: Re: Over/Under gauge
>
> On Mon, 12 Jun 1995, Thomas Augustus Kimberly wrote:
>
> > I've come into possesion of a Smith oil pressure/water temp gauge that I
> > would like to install in my TR6 to free up a hole for other interesting
> > gauges.  This gauge has a (mechanical?) water temp sender whereas I
> > believe the TR6 originally has an electric sender so I'm not really sure
> > how to go about installing it.  I have assumed that the oil sender will be
> > the same as I haven't yet dismantled my dash to see how it attached on the
> > stock gauge.  I remember someone speaking of how they had installed one of
> > these gauges in their car to make room for something else.  How?
> >             -tak
>
> As I recall (being one of those involved in the previous discussion),
> Doug Mitchell solved the critical part of the equation. Fitting the temp.
> sender is the problem, solved by using an adaptor from a Midget 1500.
> Doug, does that sound right?
>
> Otherwise, it should be a straightforward replacement of old with new,
> after which you'll have that extra hole for a genuine Smiths vacuum, oil
> temp. or ambient temperature gauge. ;-)
>
> Andy Mace
>-- End of excerpt from Andrew Mace

Andy,

You are quite right. The gauge that I bought needed something to seat
against. I tried to adapt some other type of fitting, but I discovered
that I had problems with leaks. If the temp sending unit is the same
on the '6 as the Spit, then the fitting should work.

As far as the dash goes, it was a straight-forward swap to replace the
original temp gauge with the dual gauge. The only other thing that caused
a problem was finding the right size fitting for the "T" fitting on the
oil pressure. There was a strange size fitting on the pipe that came
with the gauge.

A couple of caveats to anyone planning on installing a mechanical gauge
in their car. One, leave the piping loose. This applies to both oil and
coolant. The second caution is to be very careful with a mechanical temp
gauge. This is a closed system, the temperature is transmitted to the
gauge via the tube. If you break it, it is very expensive to repair.

Doug Mitchell