Re: TR O/D Gearbox Oil

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR O/D Gearbox Oil
From: "Doug Mitchell" <doug@dsg128.nad.ford.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 1995 07:20:41 -0400 "Re: TR O/D Gearbox Oil" (Jun 8, 9:27am)
> Subject: Re: TR O/D Gearbox Oil
[snip]

> I have an extract from a Laycock shop manual (unknown date), which says:
>
> "It is essential that an approved lubricant be used when refilling,
> preferrably a straight mineral oil with a viscosity between SAE 30 and SAE
> 50 with no E.P. additives.
>
> ON NO ACCOUNT SHOULD ANY ANTI-FRICTION ADDITIVES BE PUT INTO THE OIL."
>
> (original emphasis)
>
> It occurs to me that the question of whether to use "new improved" oils is
> moot, in that the "old" formulation worked well.  Use what we know works,
> and change the oil periodically.  Yes, changing the oil is non-fun, but sure
> beats a $$$ rebuild job.

[long sig snipped]
>-- End of excerpt from J.C. Hassall

>From the Factory shop manual for the '73 Spitfire:

Recommended gearbox and overdrive lubricants:

Above 30 degrees F              Below 30 degrees F

BP SAE 90 EP                    BP SAE 80 EP

Castrol Hypoy                   Castrol Hypoy 80

Duckham's Hypoid 90             Duckham's Hypoid 80

etc...

There is one other comment in the overdrive section though, "Under no
circumstances should any anti-friction additives be used." I have always
interpreted this to be additives such as molybdinum-disulfide (sp?),
which are sometimes used to aid in shifting.

Now can we bury this dead horse?

Doug Mitchell