Clonks

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Clonks
From: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570"<RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 1995 09:57:49 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
Hello all in the land of Triumph.

Just one problem (at the minute anyway), occassionallly when driving my
Spitfire MKIV I here a funny sounding clonk(the best way I can describe it).  I
thought that it may be the front dampers(shocks), so to test this, I opened the
bonnet(hood) stood on top of the rocker box and bulkhead and then proceded to
bounce the bloody car up and down(must have looked damn stupid) to try and
reproduce the afforementioned 'clonk', alas no luck.  I've checked the springs
for breakages, the roll(sway) bar links and bushes, steering mounts but
everything seems a-ok.  I was wondering if it could be the rear shocks that are
knackered and somehow the sound is appearing to come from the front.  Any
ideas because I don't fancy buying new shocks when it might not be these at
fault in the first place.  I've done that sort of thing before when I bought a
new rear spring for a herald(cost 60 pounds) when all it was was the rear
trunnion bushes(6 pounds), they were the days when I was new to Triumphs.

Thanks in advance

Rich
Northampton
England.