Old fuel tank

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Old fuel tank
From: gridge@nando.net (Greg Ridge)
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 95 10:55:37 EDT
As I progress on restoring my '72 Spit MkIV, I've run into something of an
unexpected problem.  My little dinky gas tank has me stumped.  The thing
looks great from the outside, but has a ton of rust INSIDE it.  (Maybe
'cause the PO let it sit for 10 years). I have tried shaking it out, I have
tried washing it out with water, all to no avail.

The main problem is that the filler neck is not flush with the top of the
inside of the tank and the rust is unable to be shaken out or removed in any
other way.  Any suggestions out there?

                              | |
                    |---------| |---------|
                    |         | |         |
                    |                     |
                    |                     |
                    |---------------------|

My second question is what to do after I get this cleaned out.  My thought
was to rinse it out with a diluted solution of muriatic acid (HCl), then
seal it with the same liquid stuff that is used for lining motorcycle fuel
tanks.

Am I likely to mess any thing up with the acid rinse?

Is the liner stuff likely to foul any fuel level sensors or orifices or
anything else inside the tank?

Any help would be appreciated.
Greg Ridge
Southern Pines, NC