RE: TR6 Vacumn Advance etc.

Subject: RE: TR6 Vacumn Advance etc.
From: "Riggs, R. (Kevin)" <rkriggs@hsv28.pcmail.ingr.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 95 09:03:00 CDT
Encoding: 53 TEXT
Randy,

This is a timely question, as I just put my '72 TR6 distributor back
together last night.

> Anyways, I have a 73 TR6 with a bad Vacumn advance diaphram.  It's a
single
> unit and i am not sure what problems i may experience while running in
this
> condition.

Are you *certain* it's a vacuum advance?  On my '72, I only have vacuum
retard.  Several people have offered the advice that you're better off
(performance-wise) disabling the vacuum retard can anyway.  It retards the
timing at idle to give cleaner emissions, but this reduces performance
pretty significantly.

Some pointers that might help you determine whether you have an advance or
retard setup: on my car, the vacuum port is underneath the rear carb.  If
I'm not mistaken, the port is on the manifold side of the throttle plate.
 Looking down on the distributor from the driver's side, the vacuum can is
on the right side of the distributor.  The distributor rotates
counter-clockwise, and this can rotates the points plate counter-clockwise
also, thereby retarding the timing.

If you had a double-vacuum distributor, I was going to suggest that you just
swap the two cannisters around...

If you do have vacuum advance, I think you'd get sluggish performance
running it with a torn diaphragm.  You have a mechanical advance mechanism,
which helps keep the engine running smooth by giving advance as the revs
rise.  But the vacuum advance gives much quicker throttle response.

I don't think you'll hurt anything by running with a torn diaphragm, but you
should definitely plug the vacuum line so your carb's not pulling air.

> I have tried to locate another Vacumn advance assembly with no luck
> without purchasing another whole distributor.

Have you seen whole distributors for sale?  New or used?  I'd be interested
in having a spare, if I knew where to get one.

> Which leads me to another
> question. How do you all feel about Electronic Ignition?

Most people on the list seem to favor it.  I'd rather get my mechanical
system in top-notch condition.

Kevin Riggs
'72 TR6
rkriggs@ingr.com