RE: TR6 Vacumn Advance etc.

To: "Riggs, R. (Kevin)" <rkriggs@hsv28.pcmail.ingr.com>
Subject: RE: TR6 Vacumn Advance etc.
From: paisley@boulder.nist.gov (Scott W. Paisley)
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 1995 11:47:59 -0600
R. Riggs writes:

 > > But why would a vacuum retard reduce performance?
 >
 > It slows throttle response.

I guess I could see this, since advance weight with springs would be
much quicker to respond than a loss of vacuum.

 > > When I stomp on the gas, there's very
 > > little vacuum left, and the advance on the distributer would be
 > > advancing with engine rpm.
 >
 > Correct.  But it's advancing from the retarded state it had reached just
 > *before* you stomped on the gas.  IE, at idle, instead of sitting at around
 > 4 BTDC, all that vacuum retard (full retard available on my unit is 16
 > crankshaft degrees) has pulled the timing to around 12 ATDC.

Wait... with full retard on, your car should be timed at 4 ATDC.
Static timing is at 8-12 BTDC depending on the year of your TR6.
(I knew what you meant... :-)

[... stuff deleted ...]

Let's assume for a minute that we have an total advance of 24 degrees
(I think) from the weights/springs in the distrbutor.  Now we add an
additional 16 degrees of retard with vacuum.  Can't I use this
combination to get even MORE advance?  A total of 40 degrees?  Of
course we'll need to run higher octane gas or will ping like a table-
tennis ball, and it's not linear, but it does give me a little more
room to play with.  Man, this is confusing.  :-)

 > I've solved this problem, though, by replacing my wheels with cinder-blocks.

No fair!  I solved the problem by buying another car that isn't road
worthy yet. :-)

 > Kevin "No, don't feel sorry for me, I've just been bonding with my car for
 > the last 4 years" Riggs

I just spend money to make more work for myself. :-)

-Scotty