Re: Low oil pressure and synthetics...thanks

To: cak@godzilla.studio.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Low oil pressure and synthetics...thanks
From: DLMAssoc@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 1995 19:16:49 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>Don't be surprised if, when switching to synthetic, you see increased
>leakage.
>I don't remember how fresh your engine is, but it seems that on older
>engines,
>the wear of the seals is taken up by some small amounts of crud and
>fluff,
>which keeps them from leaking. The synthetic cleans all this stuff
>out and
>creeps past it...

Chris:

The engine's fresh, only about 3,000 miles since a complete rebuild.  So far
the only leakage is minor, around the valve cover gasket, so it'll be
interesting to see whether it springs major leaks after I go to synthetic.

Do you know whether there's a significant difference in synthetics?  I
wandered into Walmart this afternoon and saw various brands ranging from
about $1.50 all the way to $4.00+ a quart.  That's quite a spread.  Also, is
there any danger of mixing new synthetic oil with residual regular oil?  I'm
probably thinking about not mixing dot 3&4 brake fluid with dot 5, but who
knows?

Don Marshall
'57 TR3  '62 TR3-B  '63 TR4