Re: tr4 cooling system trouble

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tr4 cooling system trouble
From: niccum@cs.umn.edu (Thomas M. Niccum)
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 1995 22:07:07 -0500 (CDT)

> Couple of things to check:
 > 1. Check around for an original "Smith's" thermostat. Don't run the engine
 Have one of these - I took out the non-original thermostat, and I'll
 be putting in the 'Original' later.  Got mine from a guy in Vermont
 who claims to have a bunch of NOS.

 > I fought the radiator battle for 5 years before I finally sorted it all out;
 > first the Smith's thermostat, then the new radiator and fan this year. Temps
 > have been above 90 a couple of times and the temp guage never get's above the
 > halfway mark.

 I think that the problem may be more that the radiator - I'm beginning
 to suspect head gasket - I'm seeing moisture in the exhaust, and that
 might explain the over presurization of the cooling system.  I'm
 going to check head bolt torque tomorrow.  The fact that the PO did a
 rebuild < 100 mi ago (but over a year ago) makes me suspicious of
 tightness.  I've already had to tighten the oil filter to stop leakage.

 Thanks for all your suggestions.

 --
 Thomas M. Niccum  | LifeRate Systems, Inc.
 niccum@cs.umn.edu | 612-844-0599/Fax: 612-844-0797