Re: tr4 cooling system trouble

To: "Thomas M. Niccum" <niccum@cs.umn.edu>
Subject: Re: tr4 cooling system trouble
From: Bill Sohl Budd Lake <billsohl@planet.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 1995 20:33:41 -400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

On Sun, 25 Jun 1995, Thomas M. Niccum wrote:

> Thanks for the input.
>
> It appears at this time like my problems may be more serious.
>
> I've detected anti-freeze and oil in the exhaust, so I'm assuming
> that one of the following is true (your opinions would be valued!):
> 1. head not tight (new rebuild followed by storage)
> 2. bad head gasket
> 3. warped head
> (in order of severity!)

Unless the head was not torqued correctly at all, that's not
likely the problem.

Checking for 2 automatically gives the opportunity to have 3 checked
as the head needs to come off for 2 anyway.

Another possibility is if the wet sleeves of the engine aren't
at the correct deck height (check factory manual for that).
But, odds are its a head gasket and that, while it isn't a
one hour job, is relatively easy to do yourself.

Bill Sohl  K2UNK     (Budd lake, New Jersey)      (billsohl@planet.net)