Re: Re[2]: TR4 tire sizes

To: jpratchi@isdlink1.ess.harris.com
Subject: Re: Re[2]: TR4 tire sizes
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 01:12:44 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Spitfire wheels widths depend on whether you have an early roundtail car
or a later squaretail car.  The Mark 1,2 and 3 have a bit less room under the
fenders for tires.  I'd suggest not going wider than a 185/60 on a 5" to 6"
wheel for an early car.  The later squaretail Mark 4 and 1500s have more room,
and the 205/60 may fit.  It is likely that the inner lip around the wheel arch
may need to be hammered out of the way for the 205/60 tires.  Doing so on an
early car can also help.  One problem with the wider tires in the front is that
if your bushings are shot or the alignment off, the tire can rub against the
firewall while turning.  But then again, I have 8" wide wheels with 225/45/13
tires on it mounted to my autocrosser, and they don't rub.

mjb.