Re: 20psi @ idle

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 20psi @ idle
From: egilk@oslonett.no (Egil Kvaleberg)
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 07:52:55 +0100
Newsgroups: mail.triumphs
Thanks to Chris for a good description of bearing change. I have a
couple of extra notes:

1. Be 100% sure that you are not intermixing the bearing caps! And
   also put them back in the same direction. This is very important.
   If you are lucky, they are marked already. Otherwise, I'd advice
   to get a sharp chisel and make "dice" type marks (1 to 4 or 1 to 6)
   on the cap and corresponding rod before disassembly.

2. As well as changing the oil pump (esp. if you know it is pretty old)
   it is advisable to change the main bearings and trust bearing as
   well. At least on the six, they live probably a just as hard life as
   the conrod bearings. The method is more or less the same; it will help
   to rotate the crank to get the upper shells out. Do not scratch the
   bearing surface in any way.

3. Cleanliness is important, as well as getting the correct torque for
   the bolts.

4. Before starting the engine for the first time, leave the plugs out,
   and crank the engine untill you get a good oil pressure reading.
   Continue cranking for a while to be sure that the oil is distributed
   well.

Egil

--
Email: egilk@oslonett.no  Voice: +47 22523641/92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Smail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway