Re: TR6 Q- bad u-joints?

To: "Jeff Wagner" <JWAGNER@jmail.umd.edu>
Subject: Re: TR6 Q- bad u-joints?
From: "Scott St. Clair" <scott_st_clair@c-cube.com>
Date: 29 Jun 1995 10:33:00 -0800
Cc: "TR" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
        Reply to:   RE>TR6 Q: bad u-joints?

Welcome to TR6 ownership. You may have bad U-joints. To find out, jack up the
car and support it on good jack stands. Crawl under there and check each
U-joint by holding each yoke of the joint, one in each hand, and twisting. If
you observe substantial play (a 1/16th of an inch is ok), then you have found
your problem. There are six u-joints, two on each half-shaft, two on the
drive shaft. You need not replace them all. For some reason, u-joints don't
seem to wear evenly.

*But*, u-joints are probably not your problem. While you are under the car,
get a good flash light and examine the front differential mounts. In all
likely hood, the left front mount is broken. A discussion of how to repair a
broken mount is beyond the scope of this reply (can you say "frame off
restoration"), but if that turns out to be the problem, call the Roadster
Factory. They'll sell you the necessary stuff.

Scott St. Clair