Re: 20psi @ idle

To: "John Laidler" <johnl@zeta.org.au>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 20psi @ idle
From: "Chris Kantarjiev" <cak@godzilla.studio.sgi.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 10:30:20 -0700 "Re: 20psi @ idle" (Jun 29, 6:23pm)
The thrust washers on the four cylinder engine are not as much of a devil as
the Triumph 6. If you're not going to touch the main caps (and you may not want
to) I wouldn't bother.

However, you *can* do the front and center main bearings easily, as well as the
thrust washers. It's a little trickier to get the top bearing shells out, but
certainly doable. You'll have to reset the front sealing block (replace the
little cork bits), but that's not too hard. Use some non-hardening sealer (I
used permatex #2) to seal it against the front plate.

The rear bearing is essentially impossible to do without pulling the engine.

Doing the job on a 6 is much more fiddly, because access is rather restricted
by the steering rack. I haven't yet attempted it on my GT6+; then again, it
doens't need it (touch wood).