Best carburator?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Best carburator?
From: lmdpth@lmd.ericsson.se (LMD/T/TB Peter Thorsen)
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 95 11:05:25 +0100
What is the best carburator I can put on my Spitfire 1500?
It currently has a single Stromberg and I have a double SU
(from a Mk3 1300) available that needs cleaning and adjusting.
I don't know too much about what others are available.

I want a reasonable mixture of smooth running, performance and
fuel economy (to some degree in that order), but I am not sure
if the single Stromberg is 'big' enough for a 1500 non-emission
controlled engine. Any suggestions?

I had the Stromberg fitted to the 1300 engine instead of the SUs
and it definitly improved the running (especially idle) although
the performance may (I'm not sure) have suffered a bit. I then
put in the 1500, giving me more power but the idle is quite bad
now, especially when cold (and it is cold for 15 minutes after
a start! (5 deg C/40 deg F)). I've had to set the idle speed so
that is runs about 1300 revs when warm just to keep it running
when cold (even with choke on).
The 1500 engine is not a Spitfire engine but from a Saloon so
maybe I should look at the ignition timing too...

 - Thanks, Peter