Re: Triumph GT6+ hardtop? T-top?

To: ngaard@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu (Michael Noerregaard)
Subject: Re: Triumph GT6+ hardtop? T-top?
From: britcars@hpfckjs.fc.hp.com
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 95 12:04:17 MST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Mailer: Elm [revision: 70.85]
> My question is if other GT6's have had the same 'thing' done to them? As
> far as I can see there has been no attempts to strengthen the frame after
> this surgical 'cut' - is that necessary? It passed inspection here in Texas,
> but I am thinking about bringing the car back to Europe in two years when
> my studies have been completed here - does this T-roof cause problems getting
> it registrered in e.g. Denmark?

Yes I modified one of my GT6's to have a targa top similar to the
Porshe.  I have had no problems in the 10 years since I did this and I
did nothing else to the frame etc.  It is very nice on a hot day to tool
around with the lid off and yet have the performance of the GT6 vs a
Spit.  Much easier than converting a GT6 to a Spit body.

A roll bar in a spit or GT6 is only part of the battle as the windsield does
not have any structural strength and tends to fold leaving you upsidedown
supported by the roll bar and the hood, what you really need if you plan
on driving in a manner that is likely to place you upsidedown is a roll
cage.

Sorry can;t help you with your denmark question.

> My GT6+ also has a racing background and therefore there is roll-bar
> installed - but how successful were these GT6's in racing? And was it ever
> anything but factory sponsored races?

GT6's have a long history of racing and have faired very well over the
years.  Many continue to do extreamly well in SCCA and Vintage races.

--

Kevin Spooner
The Sports Works of Greeley

britcars@hpfckjs.fc.hp.com