RE: Late TR4A Starter Solenoid Location

To: thomasb@knot.QueensU.CA, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Late TR4A Starter Solenoid Location
From: "Paul A. Carson" <pcarson@primenet.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 17:52:37 -0700 (MST)
On Tue, 7 Nov 1995, "Brian S. Thomas" wrote

>The starter solenoid removed from the car was an after-market item and was
incorrectly >mounted on the shelf where the clutch/brake master cylinders
would be on a RHD car.
>What I don't know, is it's location and orientation.  Could someone with a
late TR4A >with an original solenoid, take some measurements from their car
so as to point me in >the right direction?
>ThanksBrian

     Brian, the solenoid is oriented as follows.  Looking at the battery
from the front of the car, you will see the two side walls of the "battery
box" that project from the firewall.  The side wall on the left or passenger
side is where the solenoid mounts.  It is pointed such that the solenoid
button is towards the firewall.  There should be two holes in the side wall
where the solenoid bolts on with tiny nuts and bolts. These holes are below
the square or diamond hole in the sidewall for the battery retaining J-Bolt.

>I'm currently re-assembling a 1967 TR4A (TS78390L).

Excellent...If you need any other questions answered, drop me a note.  I
completed a nut and bolt resto of my 4A a year ago and I've been thru it all.

Paul A. Carson                           1967 Triumph TR-4A / CTC 78299 LO
P.O. Box 683, Crestline, CA 92325        1974 Norton Commando 850 Mk. II
Big Safari
Program Manager/Test Navigator
MC/NC/EC/C-130E/H
Lockheed-Martin Aircraft Service Company
(909)395-2975
http://www.primenet.com/~pcarson/