Fuel Line disasters!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel Line disasters!
From: rvince00@counsel.com (Ross Vincente -- TransAmer. Financial - Los Angeles )
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 95 13:00:34 EST

 To:    Triumph List,           Inet

They say you can put out a match in a bucket of gasoline---  if
you're fast enough.  I don't like to practice anything I get only
one chance to fail at, so I will leave that one as theory.

Brian N
________________________________

Yes, Brian, you can extingush a match in a bucket of gasoline.  I
watched one of my cousins do it once about 10 years ago(crazy
bastard).  We were out at the Colorado River waterskiing, drinking
beer, etc. it was late in the day, and all of the guys were
sitting around B.S.ing, when the same subject came up.  He poured
about a half gallon out of a fuel can, into a small childs play
bucket.  We all backed away a good 50 ft or so, then watched as he
took a wooden match, lit it, THEN BLEW ACROSS THE TOP OF THE
BUCKET FIRST (presumably to move the fumes out of the way) and
quickly shoved the match into the gas (don't try this at home
kids).  No Boom!  Just "phizzzt" and it was out.  He later said
it's simple - the fumes are what ignite, not the fuel and all you
have to do is blow the collected fumes away before getting the
match near the bucket.  I still say he's a crazy bastard and I
haven't spoken to him in about 5 years (he's probably blown
himself to bits by now).  BTW, I am NOT endorsing this as a method
to impress your friends and win the admiration of persons with the
IQ of a cockroach.  Just thought you'd be interested.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire Mk. I, 68 Datsun 1600 Roadster and a cat named
Flounder