Re: fuel line disasters!

To: Ken@yourteam.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: fuel line disasters!
From: Paulsv@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 23:16:54 -0500
In a message dated 95-11-09 18:31:05 EST, Ken@yourteam.com (Ken Bertschy)
writes:

>suspect that since you have to move the match VERY quickly into the gas,
>the match blows out and before actually contacting the gas.

I've seen this trick done with lit matches and burning cigarettes.  The
gasoline definitely extinguishes the match or cigarette.  You hear a "phhhht"
sound, just as you would if you were using water.  The previous post had it
right- fumes ignite, liquid gas does not.  That, after all, is why cars have
carburators, and why they flood on liquid gas, or even if the mixture is too
rich.  In fact, it is a lot more difficult to light an open pail of gas than
most would think.  Gas is much more dangerous in a tank, where the fumes are
able to accumulate.
(I'm not encouraging anyone to go out and experiment, you understand.)

Paul Vander Woude
61 TR3A
59 TR3A
Various fractions of several other TR3A's

"When someone asks you how many cars you own, and your answer includes any
type of fraction, you might own too many Triumphs"