re: fuel line disasters!

To: Ken Bertschy <Ken@yourteam.com>
Subject: re: fuel line disasters!
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 07:59:10 -0600 (CST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Thu, 9 Nov 1995, Ken Bertschy wrote:

> Merely blowing across the bucket will increase aeration not decrease it. I
> suspect that since you have to move the match VERY quickly into the gas,
> the match blows out and before actually contacting the gas.

        I think in this case that's erroneous. What ignites is a fuel/air
        mixture (that's what carburators are for). By blowing across the
        bucket you've decreased the fuel portion to a less than igniteable
        mixture. The match is dropped in at this point and would be quenched
        by the "liquid" gasoline. I saw Mr. Wizard (remember him?) do
        something similar with a beaker of gasoline and an electric sparking
        device that he emersed in the gas. The gas didn't ignite until the
        spark was raised abouve the level of the fuel where the mix of fuel
        and air was correct to allow combustion.

        Of course, if I'm wrong I'll hear about it... won't I?

        Greg (Dammit Jim, I'm an artist not a scientist) Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois