Re: Spitfire 1500 engines

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire 1500 engines
From: joe-schneider@nwu.edu (Joseph Schneider)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 18:54:39 -0600
>>This is just a guess, but maybe there is no physical reason that a short
>>stroke engine produces less torque.
>
>Of course there is.
>Come on guys, think about it:
>
>A longer stroke means the crankshaft has "longer" lobes on it.  Then, for
>instance, when the stroke is half-way between TDC and BDC,  the lobe is
>essentially horizontal.  So you have a longer "lever-arm" to use to turn the
>crank, i.e. it's physically easier.  Presto! More torque -- at the expense of
>lower revs!
>
>-Lee "chemists can think, too" Daniels
>
>Lee M. Daniels   Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding   Texas A&M
> daniels@tamu.edu            (409) 845-3726          Fax (409) 845-9351
> '74 TR6  '77 MGB

right (i'm a clinical surgeon, but i've always thought sir isaac newton was
the greatest of our predecessors), and somewhere, i remember reading that
rods/pistons start to come apart when acceleration exceeds 25,000
feet/sec**2, and longer stroke means greater peak acceleration of parts at
given rpm, therefore, lower revs achieved before acceleration starts to rip
rods apart
joe "vascular surgeons are plumbing engineers" schneider

Joseph R Schneider, MD, PhD
Associate Professor of Surgery, Northwestern University Medical School
100 Burch, Evanston Hospital, 2650 Ridge Ave, Evanston, IL 60201
voice: (708) 570-2565  fax: (708) 570-2899  e-mail: joe-schneider@nwu.edu

Northwestern University- not JUST a football power!