CA Smog-legal carbs for '79 Spitfire

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: CA Smog-legal carbs for '79 Spitfire
From: Alan Coleman <alanco@sybase.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 95 17:35:54 PST
Cc: self <alanco@xcentric.sybase.com>
Hi, sorry in advance if you've seen this, but my mailer kicked it back to me
and it hasn't turned up from the server in a
couple days, so I figured I'd retry.

Greetings,

Does anybody know whether anything other than a Stromberg CD150 is street-legal
for use on a Spitfire 1500 in
California?  I have heard that the Weber downdraft carb (don't know the model
number) is a legal replacement for the
stock carb on a number of similar cars, such as Datsun 240Z (note flame bait).

Anybody know anthing about this?

I think I have all the basic stuff set up about right, and it performs about
how I'd expect 60HP/1500lbs to perform.
Compression seems pretty OK: 125-140 range cold using cheesy screw-in gauge.
Mileage I'm getting is in the low
20's, which seems a bit low though - any comments?

Also, I'm assuming that carbueration/intake manifold issues are a good place to
start working on improving
performance once all the basics are taken care of.

Thanks,

AC