Re: Spitfire Overdrive Transmission

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Overdrive Transmission
From: mah16@cornell.edu (Marie A Harkins)
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 18:25:20 -0500
>My '80 Spitfire currently has a four-speed gearbox.  While perusing a
>local junkyard a while ago, I found a '75 Spit with the overdrive
>transmission on it.  I salvaged the parts I needed at the time, and
>didn't think much of it.  But now my transmission has begun to show some
>wear (i.e. worn synchro rings and perhaps worn gears) and is leaking through
>the rear oil seal.
>
>So, my options are thus:  remove and rebuild my 4-speed or purchase the
>overdrive one and rebuild it (the yard wants $100 for the gearbox and
>driveshaft).
>
>Any advice on this?  The car originally had an overdrive transmission,
>but the PO opted to replace it with the non-OD gearbox when the OD unit
>broke on him.  Am I asking for more trouble by installing the OD, or is
>the unreliability of these units a myth?
>
>Thanks in advance!

Jeff, I bought a used OD trans (J-type) for $100 at least 10 years ago and
installed it in my '75 Spit. It did not have OD originally. It has
functioned flawlessly and has been the most reliable piece of equipment on
the car. (KOW) I wish you the same success.

Bill King
'75 Spit becoming Spit\6
MAH16@cornell.edu