Re: Spitfire Overdrive Transmission

To: monksj@db.erau.edu
Subject: Re: Spitfire Overdrive Transmission
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 95 22:31:39 MST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
I have found O/D a bag of mixed emotions.
 1) The cost is going to be considerably higher than the $100. for tranny
and drive shaft. Consider all the relays and any needed repairs and the
re-alteration of the trans mount.
 2) If the PO changed the rear-end to a nonO/D ration, the alteration can
be mucho bucks.
 On the plus. If the rear end was never changed, you likely have a 3.89
or 4.11 behind a non-O/D tranny. If you put an O/D back in, you will get
unbelievibly improved highway cruising speed and much improved fuel economy.
 There are lots of pros and cons in both directions, and now that the can
of worms has been opened, I'm sure there will be a thread a mile long
with a "gazillion" different opinions, all of them right.
 Good luck with your decision.
Tony R.
66,67,68,69GT6
64TR4 oops