Spitfire Overdrive Transmission

Subject: Spitfire Overdrive Transmission
From: Jeff Monks <monksj@db.erau.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 16:16:13 -0500 (EST)
My '80 Spitfire currently has a four-speed gearbox.  While perusing a
local junkyard a while ago, I found a '75 Spit with the overdrive
transmission on it.  I salvaged the parts I needed at the time, and
didn't think much of it.  But now my transmission has begun to show some
wear (i.e. worn synchro rings and perhaps worn gears) and is leaking through
the rear oil seal.

So, my options are thus:  remove and rebuild my 4-speed or purchase the
overdrive one and rebuild it (the yard wants $100 for the gearbox and
driveshaft).

Any advice on this?  The car originally had an overdrive transmission,
but the PO opted to replace it with the non-OD gearbox when the OD unit
broke on him.  Am I asking for more trouble by installing the OD, or is
the unreliability of these units a myth?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff