RE: Spitfire Overdrive Transmission

To: Ken@yourteam.com, monksj@db.erau.edu
Subject: RE: Spitfire Overdrive Transmission
From: Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com
Date: 16 Nov 95 18:34:48 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>Rebuild your existing 4-speed or buy and rebuild a junkyard 5-speed tranny.
>Which costs less? I bet rebuilding your existing tranny costs less both in
>the long and short run. There's no guarantee what condition that junkyard
>tranny is in. The best solution is to rebuild whichever tranny goes in so
>you don't have to do the same thing next year. OR, you could buy the
>5-speed, install it, and while you're driving on it, rebuild the 4-speed.

    I have 139k miles on my original transmission. I bought the car in 1972
when it had 18K miles. I finally change the grease in 1992 at 130K miles. It
still works fine but with this much abuse and neglect on my part I have been
on the lookout for a spare recently just in case!
   You might consider buying a rebuilt one from John Kipping in England.
They just priced one for my GT6 at less than half the price quoted by TRF.
That even included shipping and paying for the core you are not sending back.
  It was even less that the local junkyard wanted for an unknown quality
gearbox. Somebody named "Larry" sent this number over the net a week or so
ago. 011-441-203-64533.  or 011-441-203-64530 Fax.  Its worth the LD call
just to get their catalog.
  I will probably order a replacement and play with my original at my
convenience. Nothing is worse than trying to rebuild something you have
never done before and find your car out of action for a year or so while you
figure it out!
Richard Ceraldi
1971 GT6 Mk3