Re: CA Smog-legal carbs for '79 Spitfire

To: alanco@sybase.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: CA Smog-legal carbs for '79 Spitfire
From: SCHWANGAU@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 20:06:05 -0500
You are right on the money as to where to start on improvements.  I have a 79
and the compression is about what yours is via the same test method.

Unfortunately, there are no other carbs legal to my knowledge.  I obtained
from the Calif Air Resources Board the official approved mod list.  The only
LBC carb mod was the Weber down draught for the earlier MGB.  I think after
the air cleaner/manifold chimney and closed fuel system (canisters connected
to fuel bowl and gas tank), were required, the carb was no longer legal.

In short--we SOLers are SOL.

Many 79 Spit owners keep the stock stuff ready and able to bolt on and pass
test, but run the Weber down draught for performance and reliability.  Also,
it will keep your car from going up in flames, as the Strombergs were wont to
do.

My 79 passed recently with 0% CO (1.2% allowed) and 4ppm HC (150 ppm
allowed).  I had all the stock stuff on it, tuned up right (ran like sh*t),
and a new catastrophic perverter (catalytic converter).  A local muffler shop
put the exhaust and converter together for me for far less than catalog
parts.

The smog guy could not believe how well it passed.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

Brian N.