RE: CA Smog-legal carbs for '79 Spitfire

To: b_martin@lifesci.lscf.ucsb.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: CA Smog-legal carbs for '79 Spitfire
From: Alan Coleman <alanco@sybase.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 95 10:18:59 PST
Hi Folks,

Well, I got my list of exemptions from the CA State Air Resources Board (or
some similar name), and SOL does
describe the situation.  There is no legal modification for carb, distributor,
or anything else I can find.  It is legal to use
Webers on some early MGBs and Jaguars, I think, but that's it.

So the choice is conform to the spirit of the law by keeping your car running
well or conform to the letter of the law by
keeping all the emissions junk attached.  Nice rationalization of illegal
activity, eh?  Sigh.  Too bad they didn't just
specify emissions numbers to meet, and not specify how to meet them.  Of
course, then some jerk would design a car
so that the exhaust came out the PCV valve or something equally ridiculous so
that the tailpipe emissions would
technically meet the spec.

Oh well,

AC