TR-3A Leaf Springs -Reply

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, JohnsonR@courier8.aero.org
Subject: TR-3A Leaf Springs -Reply
From: TLEAKE@novell.com (Tom Leake)
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 09:16:27 -0800

>>> Johnson, Ray F. <JohnsonR@courier8.aero.org> 11/17/95 09:10am

    I am restoring a 1958 TR-3A (TS28692L) and have a question
regarding the  rear leaf springs. I have removed both springs from the
car and plan on  having them checked, reworked and re-arced ( if
required). The problem is  that the springs are not identical.

I don't know that this is really relavant but it may be the source of the
confusion.  It is not unheard of for RWD cars to have slight differences in
the springs on the two sides.  This is more common one large cars with
HP V-8's.  The Mopar muscle cars almost all had different springs on the
passengers and drivers sides.  This was done to help compensate for
tendacy of the axle to rotate as engine torque is applied.

I don't have any idea if that is why your springs are different, but it is a
point of reference.

Tom Leake
Opinions expressed do not reflect those of my employer.