Smog tests

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Smog tests
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 14:35:15 -0500 (EST)
I've been reading with some interest the postings from folks who have to
get their lbc's through some sort of emission certification process. I am
fortunate enough to live in an area of New York state that ,thus far, does
not require this inspection. At some time in the future we will all have
to go through this nightmare, I'm sure, but for now I'm curious about how
this works. Do you need a passing grade to get your car registered the
first time? What happens if it fails the test? How can you get a waiver,
if at all? To what vehicles do these standards apply? Who does the testing
and what does it cost? It seems that California looks for equipment. If
the equipment is missing, but the car still passes, then what?

I apologize in advance for what may seem like stupid, naive questions.

Phil Barnes  '71 TR6  CC61193