Re: What happened to the Le Mans Spitfires ?

To: "Andy G." <AndyG@wpauk.demon.co.uk>, Triumph List <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What happened to the Le Mans Spitfires ?
From: Bob <103110.1323@compuserve.com>
Date: 24 Nov 95 17:58:23 EST
In a message dated 95-11-24 16:06:49 EST, Andy writes:

>Does anyone know what happened to the '64/'65 Spitfires ADU 1B - ADU 4B,
>which
>raced at Le Mans & Sebring

It is unclear exactly what happened to some of them.  They
were co-mingled quite a bit during the racing days.

According to Graham Robson's Spitfire & GT6
book:
ADU1B was crashed at Le Mans and never rebuilt.
ADU2B raced some more and was ultimately crashed.
Either ADU3B or ADU4B survives.  No one knows which one it is.
This car was used by the factory to create a GT6R.  The car was
never completed and in early '66 the project abandoned, and the car
dismantled.  Some of the parts were used to build up the Macau Spitfire.

The TSSC's car, Quasi is more of a Macau replica,
(not fast back hard top) with Le Mans style paint scheme.
(right Andy?)
I don't know how it came by it's registration number.

There was a letter to the Courier (TSSC magazine) some time ago,
written by a Spitfire owner with an ADU X B number.  I don't remember
the specific number.  Apparantly he was flagged down by another
motorist one night and offered a large sum of money for the number plate !

Bob Sykes
S1500@aol.com
75, 78, 78 Spitfires