Re: What happened to the Le Mans Spitfires ?

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What happened to the Le Mans Spitfires ?
From: Andy Gascoigne <AndyG@wpauk.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 1995 00:16:23 GMT
In your message dated Friday 24, November 1995 you wrote :

> According to Graham Robson's Spitfire & GT6
> book:

Ha-har - I'm just reading that book and got to the 'competition section' that's
what set me off...

> ADU1B was crashed at Le Mans and never rebuilt.
> ADU2B raced some more and was ultimately crashed.
> Either ADU3B or ADU4B survives.  No one knows which one it is.
> This car was used by the factory to create a GT6R.  The car was
> never completed and in early '66 the project abandoned, and the car
> dismantled.  Some of the parts were used to build up the Macau Spitfire.

The Macau car was apparently 'the sixth car' - this is a real bummer if none
still exist - there was also the Rallying (!) Spits which also carried the
ADU nB no's - where did these cars get to?

> The TSSC's car, Quasi is more of a Macau replica,
> (not fast back hard top) with Le Mans style paint scheme.
> (right Andy?)
> I don't know how it came by it's registration number.

...yeah it's just a replica - but not a bad one - apparently some Swiss guy
owns
the original Macau car and brought it over to Stafford this year
(I went to the Bristol Classic car show, at Shepton Mallett (?) cos I thought
Stafford a bit far - BIG mistake!)

> There was a letter to the Courier (TSSC magazine) some time ago,
> written by a Spitfire owner with an ADU X B number.  I don't remember
> the specific number.  Apparantly he was flagged down by another
> motorist one night and offered a large sum of money for the number plate !

Meanwhile, I'm gonna go and check out a few barns...

--
Andy Gascoigne    EMail AndyG@wpauk.demon.co.uk
                  Taunton, Somerset

                  ## Gerrof moi laaand