Re: exhaust manifold

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: exhaust manifold
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 01:49:31 -0700

    Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 13:23:12 -0800
    From: pwatson@ix.netcom.com (Pete Watson )

Vince,
     TRF have what appears to be functionally a replica of the MkII
header in stainless steel, complete exhaust with dual mufflers, for the
low, low price of only $600!  It would have the advantage that the
pipes are separated above the 2-to-1 collector, which may enable one to
install it without lifting the engine from the frame.  Just bring
money!  I haven't asked them if they'd be interested in selling just
the header part.
     I found what is either an original MkII header, or a close copy,
at the swap meet at the Lime Rock Vintage Fall Festival two years ago,
which I ran off with for only $125.  I have a couple of old ones,
varying from completely to mostly rusted away.  If you convice your
welder friend that this could become a new career path, put me on the
list of interested parties.  At the least I could sell him a couple of
mounting flanges :^)
     These headers were relatively rare even when they were new.  I
believe they were only supplied on the 1965 MkII, to homologate them
for FIA Group 4 endurance racing (the famous Le Mans Spitfires).  I was
at an autocross in the mid-70's once when a Spitfire entrant had me
help him convince the tech inspector that it was indeed a stock header!

Pete Watson
'65 MkII retirement project