TR3A STEERING REBUILD

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3A STEERING REBUILD
From: <Allan=W.=McClure%FACENG%UMASS@BANYAN.UMMED.EDU> (Allan W. McClure)
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 95 9:10:16 EST
I too am planning on rebuilding the steering/front end of my TR3A this winter
and would appreciate any tips in this regard.  So far, I plan to:
        - replace idler arm and bracket
        - replace center tie-rod pins
        - replace upper ball joints
        - replace upper wishbone bushings
        - replace replace trunnion rubber seal

My inner and outer tie-rod ends were replaced three years ago and I only
drive the car in the summer months, so they're still very new.

I would especially like to know how to evaluate the steering box internals
for wear and tear - what should I do here?

My Koni shocks are twenty years old - purchased them new in 1974, then used
the car regularly until 1976, then stored it in a dry but unheated garage
until 1990, got the car back on the road in 1992.  So, they really don't have
a lot of wear on them but how can I tell if they are still fine?  If they're
not fine, does Koni rebuild them?  Or do I have to purchase new ones?

All help greatly appreciated!

Allan McClure
'60 TR3A TS75421L