Obscure Spitfire brakes question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Obscure Spitfire brakes question
From: S1500@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 1995 00:19:50 -0500
Hello All,

While greasing the rear wheel bearings today I noticed brake fluid
all over one of the drums.  I checked the M/C and found the brake
fluid level was down about half way.  I figured the quickest way to
fix this would be to rob the brake cylinder off a half-shaft I had salvaged
from a parts car.  I pulled out TRF's catalog to use for an assembly
drawing (excellent reference), and they list a different part number
for the brake cylinder on '76 &  later cars.  My parts car was a '74.
The car needing repair is a '78.

Question: Does anyone know exactly what is different about the
post '76 brake cylinders from the earlier cars?

I have both types side by side on the workbench and can see no
difference.  The brake line fittings are the same size & thread.
I am suspecting the bore diameter as the rebuild kits
have different part numbers also.  If this is the case, I am hesitant
to mix the types on the same car.  It seems this would give rise
to un-even braking.

What a great place to implement a PO bodge !

Thanks in advance,

Bob Sykes
75, 78, 78 Spitfires (not as similar as I thought)