Re: To muffle or not to muffle...

To: DLMAssoc@aol.com
Subject: Re: To muffle or not to muffle...
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1995 08:49:13 -0600 (CST)
Cc: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
On Sun, 10 Dec 1995 DLMAssoc@aol.com wrote:

> My TR4 has only a glass pack (Cherry bomb?)

        I started out with a 36" cherry bomb on a 2" dia straight pipe from
        the header on my `4. the sound wasn't too bad until the packing
        blew out of the muffler (something that happens from time to time).
        then with the mild cam, it sounded rather diabolical. Since I
        lived in a rural community, loud motors were not out of the ordinary,
        no one complained. It gave the term "rorty" a new meaning.

        Because cam and the car was so free breathing (the2" pipe) power would
        really come on at about 3500 rpm's. To lower the power band somewhat
        it was suggested that I restrict the back pressure. Short of replacing
        the cam or adjusting the valve clearance to a rediculous gap, it was
        the "most" I coud do. I bought a "Supertrap" muffler" and had it
        fitted. It helped a bit on performance, and quieted the car down
        significantly. Now that the engine is balanced, I believe that it can
        handle the higher rpms better, I may try a turbo muffler on the
        straight pipe again, just to see what happens.

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois