Re: To muffle or not to muffle...

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: To muffle or not to muffle...
From: DLMAssoc@aol.com
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 1995 12:54:49 -0500
In a message dated 95-12-09 21:15:20 EST, TheHerrs@aol.com writes:

>Just how loud is the TR4A exhaust with the twin mufflers replaced with
>straight pipe?

TOO Loud!!!

My TR4 has only a glass pack (Cherry bomb?) and it's quite loud.  Also sounds
a lot like an untuned truck at idle.  Above 4,000 however, it sings...at
least that's my perception.  I've never had to listen to it from anywhere but
the cockpit, so I have no idea what it sounds like to the guy picking up cans
alongside the road.  Probably like an untuned truck running at 4,000 rpm.   I
suggest some kind of muffler for your wife's sake, if nothing else.  I'm also
under the impression that a certain amount of back pressure is actually
helpful.  Someone who actually knows what he's talking about can elucidate on
that.

Don Marshall
'57 TR3   '63 TR4   '62 TR3B   2 1/2 other TRs