TR6 Mixture Setting

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Mixture Setting
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1995 10:31:21 -0500 (EST)
I have a friend (not on the list) with a '71 TR6 with a pair of Zenith
Stromberg's.

First off, is this right?? I thought the Z-S plague didn't hit until
mid-'70s (the MGs, anyway, went to SU HIFs in the interim).

Second, he has one carb (the front, I think) which he cannot get adjusted
to anything but yellow with the Colourtune.  I'm not talking about "it
won't idle except when yellow", I mean he says he uses the full range of
adjustment and it is >always< yellow.  Since this means rich (right?) it
seems unusual for an emissions carb.  The rear carb adjusts properly, so
I think he knows what he's doing.

He suspects an air leak and has checked the usual suspects.  He did
rebuild the carbs himself, and has been unable to adjust the front one
ever since.  I'm telling him an air leak would make the Colourtune go
blue and roughen up the operation tremendously, unless the leak is
internal to the carb.  He's checked the diaphragm and says it is OK.

I have only worked with HS and HIF carbs, so I'm stumped.  He does say
the system has a manual choke, not the automatic one.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle
"Ginsberg's Restatement of the Three Laws of Thermodynamics:
   You can't win.
   You can't break even.
   You can't quit."