RE: TR6 Mixture Setting

Subject: RE: TR6 Mixture Setting
From: "Riggs, Kevin (R. K)" <rkriggs@ingr.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1995 13:53:22 -0600
Encoding: 38 TEXT
John,

> I have a friend (not on the list) with a '71 TR6 with a pair of Zenith
> Stromberg's.

> First off, is this right?? I thought the Z-S plague didn't hit until
> mid-'70s (the MGs, anyway, went to SU HIFs in the interim).

Triumphs had Z-Ss much longer than MGs had them.  Your friend has the right
type of carb.

> Second, he has one carb (the front, I think) which he cannot get adjusted

> to anything but yellow with the Colourtune.

If the float valve is stuck open, that carb could be constantly flooded.
 This is a very common problem.  A few whacks with a mallet might fix it;
disassembling, cleaning, and reassembling the float bowl would almost
certainly fix it.

> Since this means rich (right?)

Ordinarily...

> He suspects an air leak and has checked the usual suspects.

I've had air leaks that were so bad that the car ran with a yellow flame.
 Well, barely ran.  When extremely lean, the mixture burns very slowly and
unevenly, with a weak yellow flame.  I agree that this seems ulikely, but I
wouldn't rule it out.

My money's on a stuck float valve.

Kevin Riggs
'72 TR6